Indianhead Medical Center is committed to promoting the health of the people in the communities we serve by providing compassionate, high quality and cost-effective service.
Indianhead Medical Center will be recognized as the health care provider of choice, as caring is our specialty. Indianhead Medical Center will maintain our reputation for innovative programs and services by staying abreast of new technology and changing health care delivery systems. We are optimistic for the future success of Indianhead Medical Center.
- Everyone at IMC knows, understands, and supports the mission, vision and value statements.
- We treat patients and colleagues with respect, care and understanding.
- We recognize and accept the patient as an individual and allow them to express their beliefs and values.
- We believe that all patients have the right to pain relief.
- We safeguard patient information as confidential.We believe human life is of invaluable worth.
- We prudently use resources to ensure long-term growth and viability.
- We involve patients and families in all aspects of hospitalization, and work collaboratively with the health care team to foster a caring and safe environment.
- We make every effort to obtain the optimal level of accident prevention, fire protection, health preservation and security management.
- We will continue to learn and advance our skills and performances.
- We are committed to an organization-wide approach in pursuing quality programs and services.
In 1947, the Shell Lake Hospital was first opened. The building project started near the end of WWII, in 1945 by Charles L. Lewis and his son-in-law, Dr. D.V. Moen, who was also the physician and surgeon in charge. Building materials were in short supply so members of the community banded together to make a go of the new Shell Lake Hospital. Pine trees were cut on Lewis’ cranberry marshes and sawed into lumber and dried over a creamery broiler before being used for subflooring in the hospital. The old Shell Lake Boat Works dipped into their supply of hardwood as well. By the end of the building project, $35,000 had been invested into the new hospital.
The Shell Lake Hospital opened its doors with eleven beds, eight employees and one doctor. By 1950, the hospital grew to house seventeen beds, a delivery room, nursery and OB ward. In 1958, the Shell Lake Clinic built right next to the hospital. In June of 1968, ground was broken for the new Shell Lake Memorial Hospital and by 1972, a third floor was added to the new hospital making it the largest acute-care facility in the area with 70 beds and a staff of 147.
By 1982, Fairview Community Hospitals of Minneapolis, Minnesota acquired Shell Lake Memorial Hospital, and changed the name to Indianhead Medical Center, which still stands today. After seven years of ownership, Fairview decided to sell IMC to a management company based out of Baltimore, Maryland. MidAtlantic Health Management.